How much should I do each day?
Every situation is different, so anything we suggest is simply a guideline, but this is a simplified version of our school day.
Adult input - practising phonics/ talking about books/ maths
- Phonics - Phase 2 and 3 sounds, tricky words and high frequency words. Go through the sounds, listen to phonics songs, maybe have a dance while you do!
- Number - Practise number formation, counting and early addition. We have lots of favourite maths songs. Jack Hartmans Channel on youtube is lots of fun and incorporates lots of movement! We've also been talking a lot about measuring, linked to The Smartest Giant in Town'.
- Reading through a book, talking about the characters/ themes
Planned educational activity -
- A short planned activity to underline the objective you have been practising. Please look initially at the planning page, or get ideas from our pinterest pages. Please also look out for ideas posted on the Evidence Me app.
Free choice play
- Children play with activities carefully chosen to forward their learning. Again, there are lots of ideas provided on the other tabs. This could be an inside or outside activity if you have outside space.
Adult input 2 - practising phonics/ maths/ knowledge and understanding topics
- Phonics - Phase 2 and 3 sounds, tricky words and high frequency words. Go through the sounds, listen to songs, play a game...
- Number - Practise number formation, counting and early addition.
- Learning about topics of interest - we are talking about Easter and Spring at the moment.
Planned educational activity
- A second short planned activity to underline the objective you have been practising.
Free choice play
- Children play with activities carefully chosen to forward their learning.
At the end of the day, we often have a chat about what we have done, and sometimes have a story.
We hope this helps! Again, please don't feel you have to adhere to this plan scrupulously. One of the reasons that Reception is so awesome is that every day is different! Most of all, have fun together and take care. Remember, learning is a balance, just like everything else. We can't wait to hear all about the fun you're having, don't forget to add your observations to Evidence me if you'd like to share.