How much should I do each day?
Every situation is different, so anything we suggest is simply a guideline, but our PowerPoint is a simplified and slightly more formalised version of the adult input parts our school day.
Free choice play
At School, children play with activities carefully chosen to forward their learning. At home, play is just as important to a child's development. It is an integral part of the EYFS and supports their learning in a very real way. .
Young children can develop many skills through the power and enjoyment of play. They support and develop their language skills, emotions, creativity and social skills.
Play helps to nurture imagination and give a child a sense of adventure!
Through this, they can learn essential skills such as problem solving, working with others, sharing and much more. In turn, this helps them develop the ability to concentrate and sustain their attention.
This could include inside or outside activity if you have outside space. If you need support for play ideas, please take a look at the other tabs on our Reception area, and our Pinterest.
Our weekly PowerPoint runs through every school day. It includes...
- Zoom - Our Zoom calls are a really good way to check in with everyone. The topic of our calls changes regularly in order to make sure the children are 'taught' every subject, and also so that parents joining in can see how we address different activities in school in order to further support them going forward.
- See it, Think it, Say it - This slide provides an image alongside questions to focus children's consideration of it. Children benefit from using their observation, imagination and verbal sentence skills.
- English - Here we look at different books. sometimes we focus on a theme, or sometimes an author. There are questions and usually a related activity to try.
- Phonics - Here we provide resources and opportunities to practise our phase 2 and 3 letter sounds. tasks to underline children's understanding are usually provided via video by our own lovely team!
- Maths - Here we explore maths concepts with videos, pictures and questions. There are usually some ideas of how to further explore the concept at home.
- Topic/RE - These topics are provded to support children's Knowledge and Understanding of the World. There are often ideas for practical or creative activities to seek experiences.
We love to end the day with a story in Reception! Our lovely staff have been busy reading stories on video - more are added all the time. Please take a look at our dedicated Storytime tab.
We hope this helps! Again, please don't feel you have to adhere to this plan scrupulously. One of the reasons that Reception is so awesome is that every day is different! Most of all, have fun together and take care. Remember, learning is a balance, just like everything else. We can't wait to hear all about the fun you're having, don't forget to add your observations to Evidence me if you'd like to share.